Wedding Planning Checklist By: William Manor
Ideally, you would want to have at least a year to plan the wedding, but that is not always possible or desired. For the purposes of this guide, I have set up a 12 month wedding timeline that will certainly make it a little bit easier to host your wedding.
12 Months Before Your Wedding Day
6 Months Before Your Wedding Day
- Announce the engagement
- Set your wedding date
- Create a budget
- Hire a Wedding Coordinator (optional)
- Create your guest list
- Start brainstorming ideas and themes
- Reserve your Ceremony spot
- Book an Officiate
- Make reservations for your Reception area
- Book a Photographer and Videographer
- Book Caterer, Florist and Music (Band, DJ, etc.)
- Look for a Wedding gown and Tux, allowing time for alterations and fittings
- Register for gifts
- Select and call the bridesmaids and groomsmen.
- Agree on a date to order bridesmaids' dresses and groomsmen's tuxes
- Choose a destination for your Honeymoon
- Apply for passports, if required
3-4 Months Before Your Wedding Day
- Finalize your guest list
- Decide on the timeline and details of Ceremony and Reception
- Order/make invitations, and thank you notes
- Make airline and hotel reservations for the Honeymoon
- Choose a caterer, a florist and place an order for the wedding cake.
- Book Transportation (Limo, Antique Car, Etc.) for wedding day
- Shop for any Party rentals
1 Month Before Your Wedding Day
- Mail out/hand deliver invitations
- Confirm wedding details and contracts with all wedding vendors
- Choose gifts for your attendants
- Set a date and time for the rehearsal dinner
- Help make travel arrangements for any out-of-town guests
- Make final alterations and fittings for the Wedding Gown and Tux
- time with your Photographer for the Bridal Portrait or Engagement shoot
1-2 Weeks Before Your Wedding Day
- Apply for the marriage license
- Buy your wedding bands
- Finalize music list and no-play list with band or DJ
- Attend showers
- Make insurance arrangements
Wedding day or day before
- Schedule the rehearsal a day or two before your wedding day
- Make an appointment with a Beauty Salon for day of wedding
- Send a wedding announcement to the local newspapers (optional)
- Make necessary arrangements for name & address change, if any.
- Discuss final details with the reception Site and the Caterer
- Pack for honeymoon
- Write out all checks needed for wedding day
- Send reminders to the rehearsal dinner attendees about the location & time
- Discuss final details of the ceremony and reception with family and bridal party
- Visit your Beauty Salon for manicure and pedicure
- Host the rehearsal and dinner.
- Make sure the ushers have the final guest list.
Visit Idea Sparks for hundreds of creative ideas, including tips for planning your wedding shower, ceremony, reception or honeymoon. Download the FREE Wedding Tips ebook.